Monday, July 05, 2010

4th-y weekend.

A bit of a hiatus from blogging, yes. But, July 4th weekend was lots of fun!

Friday 'started' with a lesson (really, it was at 4pm). Claude Baker seemed to like my song by the end of it. Although, I should probably be working more towards more meaningful tonal strides. In time, I suppose.

After that, I left composition behind for a couple days (oops). Friday evening held a concert that was impressive for its firepower. Glenn Dicterow, Liang Wang, Ray Chen, and a host of other fantastic players in an all-Schumann program. Liang Wang played the "Three Romances," which he saved from being the schmaltz that they are through his fantastic playing and lovely performance - very rarely have I seen an instrumental soloist spend so much time away from sheet music when it was available. His perhaps overly-conspicuous sojourns from the page actually drew greater attention to some of his superbly expressive detail. Next was the Schumann piano quintet in E-flat, Op. 44. Always an amazing piece, but with Glen Dicterow at the helm there were certainly more wonderful moments than usual. His economy of movment is always astounding, as is the sound he produces from his Guarneri. It was also interesting to watch how he lead the much younger Ray Chen. Ray is a masterful player and his youthful styling provided an interesting foil for the other more seasoned players in the group - all of which were at least 10 years his senior. The final piece on the concert was the Piano Concerto in a-minor - one of my favorites. This was, however, the first outing for the festival orchestra, with a new soloist and only two rehearsals. The tempi were impeccable and, at last, the performance struck me as one not of precision but heart and energy - wonderfully enjoyable and very exciting.

That night there was a party. A great party. A party that I was still recovering from Saturday morning when I embarked on a trip down to Kennebunk.



I spent much of Saturday and Sunday at my friend Kelly's (well, her family's) in Kennebunk. I lived with Kelly when I was at Vassar in my senior year. A couple of her tennis teammates were there as well - Jamie and Courtney - with whom I was also friendly. It was great to have a miniature Vassar reunion and to see Kelly's parents, who were the most gracious and generous of hosts. Lobster at the boat club, tennis in the morning across the way, and some sun at the beach - need I say more?

After returning to Brunswick on Sunday morning, the 4th, I spent a bit of time having some beer with my housemate Josh and some other string players from the festival - Laura, Laurel and Linnea. After making a bit of dinner we took off in my car for Portland, where there were going to be fireworks. After a lot of searching for parking and eventually finding space in what looked like the local projects (dubious), we walked over to the hill where the fireworks were to be. The Portland played some "American Favorites" (with a bit of Tchaikovsky for good measure...) to about a 45-minute fireworks show, which was very impressive.

After we returned, there was a bit more beer and the following portrait of Laurel, Josh and Linnea (L to R) which, though ambiguous, remains iconic in my mind:


Epic, to say the least.

In any event, I'm back to writing. It feels good, almost comfortable in a relaxing sort of way. Hopefully I'll have another song (mostly) done by tomorrow... fingers crossed.

1 comment:

edr said...

I'm surprised that you didn't comment on Emma Tahmizian's piano in the Quintet in E Flat... I found it extraordinary in its complete balance with the strings and the degree to which they played as a true ensemble.