Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 1.. sort of...

Today is the official start of activities at Bowdoin. As a composer I have very little directed time. This is great, actually, as I have already done some writing, been to the gym, made lunch, printed staff paper (!), and taken a shower (not necessarily in that order).

Walking around the Bowdoin campus is a pleasure. It's beautiful - buildings nestled nicely between lots of trees, lots of timeless architecture and functional interiors that rival colleges many times its size. The library is very beautiful, but I'm not sure of what its holdings are. The music library is VERY small and has VERY limited holdings - a bit disappointing, but perhaps a good excuse to learn some more classical repertoire with which I am not entirely acquainted.

Put another way, there's not a lot from the last 100 years.


The gym, on the other hand, is fantastic. The free weight room is particularly nice, with more weights than two football teams could take up and a water fountain that apparently has an unending supply of water kept at the perfect temperature. Even better: it's next door to the recital hall where composer practice rooms are.

I'll spend most of the rest of the day writing - I've already made some good progress on songs for guitar and voice that are settings of text by Linda Loomis - excerpts from her book, "Apple Tree Summer." After working through the most recent piece, "Apologies," with Ken Meyer, writing for guitar has become an intriguing challenge for me. I think it might reinforce some of the sonic tendencies that I'm starting to adopt as my "voice" is developing.

Lastly: I have never seen so many squirrels walking. I have seen squirrels run, many of them. But it is on a rare occasion that I see a squirrel strolling along a path. Or spread out on the pavement, sunning itself. Both of these things I have seen more than a dozen times so far, in three days, here in Brunswick. I think the squirrels retire to this place.

No comments: